Putting my Two Cents In

I am usually lurking behind the scenes of this Blog - proofing posts, suggesting concerts that Chip should review, loudly proclaiming my opinions and hoping that he will agree with some of them and generally making a nuisance of my self.

Last night however, we discussed my taking a more active role, for two reasons: I am unemployed and have the time, and his graduate studies are subsuming so much time that the Blog is suffering.

My input will bring a slightly different flavor to these pages - unlike Chip I am not classically trained from birth. Although I have been singing since I was 3 years old, all of my training was by ear, and by the time I was taking choir in school I could anticipate music well enough to never bother learning to truly read music. This led to trouble when the two of us attempted to write our first musical together. I had definite ideas of what the music he set to my words should do, but I had no language to convey them - we teetered on the brink of divorce each more frustrated than the other at the lack. It became obvious that I would need a musical education so that we could speak a common language. Thus our sojourn in Edinburgh.

I began my musical education as a singer and fully intended to study voice throughout the degree, but in the first year I was required to take a composition course and a new love was born. I have always enjoyed writing (I have a children's picture book and 1.5 novels to my credit), but the expression of creativity in musical notes opened an entire new dimension of communication to me - I was hooked and promptly switched majors.

Due to my unique background, my approach towards writing for classical orchestra and ensembles is considered apostate by many in the academic sphere. I like music with a strong rhythmic base (music you can tap your foot to), prominent melodic lines and a sense of story. I really respond to composers such as Scriabin, Copland and Bernstein.

As a child I listened to recordings of Mozart, Beethoven and the rest, but I never attended an orchestra concert. My father was a professional sound man and I worked for performers such as Jerry Lee Lewis, Elvis, Mel Tillis, Dolly Parton, Willy Nelson and 100s of others at open air concerts across the American West. I pestered thousands of band members to show me how their instruments worked. I spent countless hours learning songs or singing the fiddle lines in a given piece that had caught my attention. I learned to judge the true performers and see how they connected with their audiences. This is the background I bring into the concert hall and although it can put me at a disadvantage in the classical world, it also gives me a level of insight all my own.

So - my first post will be a review of last night's Eric Whitacre concert at Denver University. I hope you enjoy it. Cheers, Eddie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acclaimed Fauré Quartett returns to Deutsche Grammophon with their first recording of Brahms

The Role of Music in Opera

Episode 210b: Joyeuse le départ