What's happening in Classical music scene

I love reading the online NY Times Music page. While I can attend any of the events (the cost of the last minute flight would break the bank), it is nice to keep up with what's happening. There is a premier of an opera this week (what?? another opera premiering????) - but it's a premier of a production of an opera from 1792, so not quite the same was our own "It Must Be Fate"... (whew).

New Orleans is being treated to N.O. Music Alive and their blend of classical and jazz.

On the other side of the US, Thomas Adès is conducting the Los Angles Chamber Orchestra at the Disney Hall.

  • Locally, the Edinburgh Light Orchestra is performing at the Queen's Hall on Saturday.
  • The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra with Julian Rachlin performing Brahms and Strauss is performing at the Royal Festival Hall, London tonight (Friday).
  • Cornwall has something interesting - Music by composers living in Cornwall is in Truro tonight.
  • The Milton Keynes City Orchestra is performing at Dorchester Abbey on Saturday. The Oxford Chamber Orchestra is performing at Sheldonian Theatre, Oxford on Saturday as well.

    Many more events are listed on http://www.concert-diary.com I hope to see you at one of them!

  • Comments

    Rob said…
    Edinburgh Light is another bunch Hilary and I play with. You might enjoy their concerts, I don't know. Lots of show tunes and the like, but also plenty of the kind of music I grew up with on the radio (we didn't have a record player until I was nearly 12): Leroy Anderson, Eric Coates, Robert Farnon and all the other light orchestral classics. Plus both my school orchestra and my first grown-up orchestra (the Civil Service Orchestra in London) did at least as much light music as "proper" classical stuff. So for me at least (not so much for Hilary) it's a return to my roots!

    Oh, and the concert went particularly well.

    Popular posts from this blog

    The Role of Music in Opera

    Acclaimed Fauré Quartett returns to Deutsche Grammophon with their first recording of Brahms

    Episode 210b: Joyeuse le départ