Broadway: "Rock of Ages"

I'm not a fan of musicals made from a collection of songs with a loose storyline putting it all together. But I do like entertainment, of all sorts. Perhaps it's just that I'm not a fan or ABBA music, which is why I never found the attraction to "Mamma Mia" - and yet, I really love the music of Journey, Bon Jovi, Styx, Reo Speedwagon, Pat Benatar, Twisted Sister, Poison, Asia, Whitesnake... It was a great time for me and some really great music. So, to hear the musical "Rock of Ages" is finally making it's way to Broadway with rights to the film already secured by New Line Cinema has me pretty excited.

The review of the Off Broadway production are promising with the Associated Press, "a nonstop party laden with sexy choreography, energetic performances and an on stage band that totally rocks the house." The Star Ledger proclaims, "tons of retro fun for anybody loving those bygone times of big hair and even bigger power chords," while The New York Post says, "ROCK OF AGES does for '80s rock what 'Mamma Mia!' did for ABBA."

"Rock of Ages" will transfer to Broadway's Brooks Atkinson Theatre, 256 W. 47th Street, and open on Tuesday, April 7, 2009. Previews begin on Friday, March 20, 2009.


That said, I'm not sure why there is a Broadway show and not just a concert. Do we feel we need a story to keep us entertained for 2+ hours? I used to go to concerts and listen to music for that long and more and thoroughly enjoy myself. Part of me wonders if sitting in a sit in an theatre isn't going to feel a bit strange, because part of me is going to want to be jumping up and down dancing to the music. Maybe when we were younger, filling the concert audiences, we were willing to stand about, dancing and doing what have you, but now that we're older we feel the need to relax in a cushioned seat. Geee, I hope I'm not that old yet.

Comments

Caitlin C said…
"I'm not sure why there is a Broadway show and not just a concert."

I felt the same way about We Will Rock You which I was apprehensive about, but my love of Queen compelled me to see it. The plot was thin at best, and just plain awful at worst; however, getting to hear Queen music live (even without the inimitable Freddie Mercury) with all the flash and spectacle of Broadway was a lot of fun.

As much as I don't like Mamma Mia, I have to say they did a good job integrating the music and the story; and there is actually a complete story there, even if it's not your cup of tea. If Rock of Ages can do that much, it might be worth seeing. Unfortunately, the pictures on the website make it look a little too much like We Will Rock You à la the 80s for me.

I wonder if they think they can't justify the price of tickets if they pitch the show as a souped-up concert of covers. You can see that on a cruise ship (and they're usually really bad).

It's like you can have a musical with original but horribly trite music, or a musical with an original but horribly trite story.

P.S. This might be double posted... My computer was being a bit funky.

Popular posts from this blog

Acclaimed Fauré Quartett returns to Deutsche Grammophon with their first recording of Brahms

The Role of Music in Opera

Episode 210b: Joyeuse le départ