Atlanta Symphony Orchestra Opens Second Classical Season Saturday, June 20th
at Verizon Wireless amphitheatre at Encore Park
Music Director Robert Spano and the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra and Chorus to Perform excerpts from Barber of Seville, and Carmina Burana
Music Director Robert Spano and the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra and Chorus will open the second classical season at Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre at Encore Park, the Orchestra’s new 12,000-seat state-of-the-art facility located in Alpharetta, GA (north of Atlanta), on Saturday, June 20, 2009, at 8:00 p.m. The concert will be led by Mr. Spano and feature Soprano Georgia Jarman, the ASO debuts of Tenor Nicholas Phan and Baritone Matthew Worth, and the Gwinnett Young Singers in excerpts from Rossini’s Barber of Seville, and Orff’s complete Carmina burana. Mr. Spano, who is currently rehearsing for Seattle Opera’s Ring Cycle in Seattle, is making the trip back to Atlanta especially to open the season.
“The Orchestra’s inaugural season at Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre at Encore Park last summer was exhilarating. Audiences reaching far across North Georgia, and into neighboring states, have greatly expanded our footprint, with our attendance averaging at double the capacity of Atlanta Symphony Hall. This summer, we look forward to again offering the best musical talent on stage, and co-creating anew, with our committed new audiences, great concert experiences of all kinds in our new summer home.” -Atlanta Symphony Orchestra President & CEO Allison Vulgamore
The Amphitheatre — nominated by Pollstar Concert Industry Awards as 2008 “Best New Major Concert Venue” and “Best Major Outdoor Concert Venue,” — serves as the outdoor home to the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra. The scope of Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre at Encore Park has brought a new dimension to the region’s seasonal artistic offerings by featuring concerts with the internationally-recognized Atlanta Symphony Orchestra, leading popular presentations, as well as an emphasis on community events — including high school graduations, local fundraising events, and collaborations to create family-themed days, high school music concerts, and competitions.
Additional Atlanta Symphony Orchestra Concerts
In addition to the June 20 opening concert, the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra will perform seven concerts in the summer of 2009:
- On Saturday, June 27, 2009 at 8:00 p.m., an all-Mozart evening will be led by Grant Llewellyn in his ASO debut, and feature pianist Pedja Muzijevic in Mozart’s Piano Concerto in D minor. Also on the program is the Overture to Marriage of Figaro, and Symphony No. 41, “Jupiter.”
- On Saturday, July 4, 2009 at 8:00 p.m., Bridget Reischl will lead the Orchestra in an Independence Day concert featuring The U.S. Army Chorus. Fireworks will follow the concert.
- On Saturday, July 11, 2009 at 8:00 p.m., ASO Assistant Conductor and League of American Orchestras Fellow Mei-Ann Chen will lead the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra and Chamber Chorus in the music of Star Wars. Also on the program is R. Strauss’s Prelude to Also sprach Zarathustra, and Holst’s The Planets, which will feature NASA footage of the solar system.
- On Saturday, July 25, 2009 at 8:00 p.m., Hugh Wolff will lead the Orchestra in an all-Beethoven concert featuring pianist Juho Pohjonen in his ASO debut performing the Piano Concerto No. 2. Also on the program will be Leonore Overture No. 3, and the Symphony No. 3.
- On Saturday, August 1, 2009 at 8:30 p.m.¸ Richard Kaufman will lead the ASO in “Rodgers and Hammerstein at the Movies,” a Turner Classic Movie Night hosted by TCM Host Robert Osborne. The program will feature footage from Rodgers and Hammerstein classics such as State Fair, The King and I, South Pacific, Oklahoma, The Sound of Music, and Carousel.
- On Saturday, August 15, 2009 at 8:00 p.m., sixteen-year-old conductor Ilyich Rivas will make his U.S. debut leading the ASO in Verdi’s Vespri Overture, Tchaikovsky’s Symphony No. 4, and Mendelssohn’s Violin Concerto featuring Elena Urioste as soloist.
- As part of the annual Starbucks Free Parks Concerts, the ASO will perform a free concert for the community at the Amphitheatre in September 2009. Details will be announced.